Connecting to Vista share using rawhide release candidate (fc10)

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Mon Nov 24 22:09:31 UTC 2008

Clyde E. Kunkel wrote, On 11/24/2008 01:28 PM:
> If from gnome I try to connect to Places/connect to server/Windows Share
> and enter the name of the vista computer, I get and error box saying
> Cannot disply location "smb://myvistacomputer/" No application is
> registered as handing this file.  Yet, if I use the ip address of the
> vista computer I get access to the shares on the vista machine.
>
> What am I doing wrong, or what do I need to do right?  The vista machine
> s ip address is not static and changes as computers on the network are
> rebooted, etc.
>
> Thanks.

Does the following look familiar/similar to your problem?
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2008-November/msg01155.html

i.e. Microsoft changed something to fix a known bug(MS08-068), and it messed
up the way SMB authentication is done from a windows machine to a samba server
machine.  perhaps it messed it up the other way around too.

--
Todd Denniston