F10 Beta Problems

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Nov 24 22:59:58 UTC 2008

Leslie Satenstein wrote:
> I have the following issues:
>
> Annaconda
> My monitor can go to 1600 by 200, Annaconda selects it. My eyes cannot
> go, even with glasses, to 1600x200,  Why not select 1024x768, so that
> one can watch the progress with crt monitor or with wide aspect ration
> flat Panel?

I think anaconda should use some "reasonable value" checking, and choose the
default which is 4:3, 16:9, or 5:4 aspect ratio, no more than 1024 high. This
gives priority to the human, who can then change the selection if s/he can only
read the screen!

> Before giving the go-ahead to start the installation, it would be nice
> to tell the user how many files will be installed and to allow a review.
> (The right click on details to choose all is dangerous (and not
> documented as a great feature) -- After right clicking my areas of
> interest, I ended up with 2700+ files, and many hours of downloads. All
> went well.)
>

> Default Display Screen Size.
> After DVD removal and reboot to create users, again resolution is
> painfully small.

What I said before, catering to the computer rather than the user.

> Setting Screen Resolution (user Preferences)
> I have a 21 inch monitor, but I want to use the first 4/3 aspect ratio
> above the 1024/768. Fedora switches to it ok, but I need a full set of
> refresh rates, so I can properly align the display in the window (The
> setting I chose works with UBUNTU on the same system).

This is all part of the same issue, isn't it? That part of the install has yet
to work in a user friendly manner on any of my machines.

> Using Gnome, I am blocked from logging directly to root.
> Most of the time, I find it faster to do things via gui interface then
> via commandline. Since I cannot log to the system with Root privledges,
> functionalty is lost.

Oh use su or read the list, the answer has been posted at least twice.

> Audio feedback when system is booted.
>  From poweron to logon screen ready, Fedora used to provide a System
> ready sound configuration. Now, deadly silence. One has to watch the
> screen, instead of waiting to hear the ready signal. (Works correctly
> with UBUNTU).

You have something set up wrong. I have all the video problems, but sound works.
At least as well as PulseAudio ever works...

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>