Yum and Yumex

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 15:30:38 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-11-25 at 06:14 -0800, Leslie Satenstein wrote:
> For uninstalls, I think we are forced to using rpm, which prompts to
> indicate what it is taking along with the module you requested for the
> uninstall.
>
> yum works in reverse (uninstalls), quietly, as it does in forward gear
> (updates or installs).

This is incorrect. Yum asks for confirmation before deleting anything,
same as it does for installing and updating.

Unless of course you ran "yum -y", or your yum.conf(5) file has been
modified from the default:

       assumeyes
              Either ‘1’ or ‘0’. Determines whether or not yum prompts for confirmation of critical actions. Default is ‘0’ (do prompt).
              Command-line option: -y

       alwaysprompt
              Either ‘1’ or ‘0’. Without this option, yum will not prompt for confirmation when the list of packages  to  be  installed  exactly  matches
              those given on the command line. Unless assumeyes is enabled, it will still prompt for package removal, or when additional packages need to
              be installed to fulfill dependencies. Default is ‘1’.

poc