Preupgrade 1.0.0 hangs at end of upgrade

Alexander Todorov atodorov at redhat.com
Thu Nov 27 13:37:22 UTC 2008

Bryn M. Reeves wrote:
> Adam Pribyl wrote:
>> On Wed, 26 Nov 2008, Bryn M. Reeves wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Folks,
>>>
>>> Using preupgrade-1.0.0-1 to update an f9 system to f10 seems to have
>>> worked OK but the upgrade hung while finalizing the upgrade after
>>> finishing the package transaction.
>>>
>>> The last thing in the log was uno.bin segfaulting and I was getting
>>> repeated
>>
>> Uno.bin segafault happens but has not influence on my preupgrade
>> process. I used 0.9.9 and it finished OK, just the finalizing took a
>> long time.
>> Did you wait enought?
>
> I left it until over an hour after the package transaction had completed
> (headed out to lunch) - anaconda was consuming moderate amounts of CPU
> but there was almost no disk I/O going on by this point.
>
>> Maybe somebody can shed a light what this "finalizing" means, and why
>> it is taking so long.

I saw the same with pure anaconda upgrade (no pre-upgrade). I guess it was
removing old packages or doing some cleanup. My machine ended up with over 500
duplicating packages (fc9 & fc10 version) and some broken dependencies. Removing
all fc9 packages that had corresponding fc10 packages & doing yum update
afterwards fixed all deps issues and made rpm -V happy again.

--
Alexander.