NFS installation issue (minor)

Mads Kiilerich mads at kiilerich.com
Thu Nov 27 16:40:22 UTC 2008

Scott Robbins wrote:
> For years now, I've just stuck an iso file into an exported NFS
> directory and installed with it.
> I tried that today and got the dreaded Directory could not be mounted
> from server message.
>
> So, I went to the installation guide and saw several other options that
> should be added.  (In the appendix--it might be worth giving a link to
> that as the NFS guide just says prepare installation media, which is a
> bit frustrating, when you're trying to get it done as the significant
> other is speaking about how you have to leave early, etc., but that's
> not relevant, save for comic relief.)
>
> I then did a mount of the ISO with suggested options and still got the
> same error.  (all the options listed in creating an installation
> server).
>
> So, I just copied all files from the mounted directory into another
> directory, e.g. cp -r mount/* installfiles.  Now I have a directory
> called install files which has all files from the DVD.  Using that as
> the target worked.
>
> I'm just wondering, as I haven't seen mention of this, is this one of
> those Just Me(TM) issues?  Have other people, without much effort,
> done an NFS install from an iso image, whether mounted or not?
>
> Thanks, and again, this is minor as copying the files to another
> directory also exported by NFS easily solves the issue.

It seems to be a common problem, so it would be nice to have some kind
of answer on Bugs/F10Common.

I have heard rumours that apparently the images/install.img part of
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f10/en_US/sn-installing-from-harddrive.html
also applies to
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f10/en_US/sn-nfs-install-settings.html.
Or that stage2.img can be placed somewhere specified on the command line
with stage2=.

Exactly which NFS guide and which appendix are you referring to?

It would be nice if you or someone else could test and share some exact
knowledge. ;-)

/Mads