NFS installation issue (minor)

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Thu Nov 27 18:00:14 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 05:40:22PM +0100, Mads Kiilerich wrote:
> Scott Robbins wrote:
>> For years now, I've just stuck an iso file into an exported NFS
>> directory and installed with it. I tried that today and got the dreaded
>> Directory could not be mounted
>> from server message.
>>
>> So, I went to the installation guide and saw several other options that
>> should be added.  (In the appendix--it might be worth giving a link to
>> that as the NFS guide just says prepare installation media, which is a
>> bit frustrating, when you're trying to get it done as the significant
>> other is speaking about how you have to leave early, etc., but that's
>> not relevant, save for comic relief.)
>>
>> I then did a mount of the ISO with suggested options and still got the
>> same error.  (all the options listed in creating an installation
>> server).
>>
>> So, I just copied all files from the mounted directory into another
>> directory, e.g. cp -r mount/* installfiles.  Now I have a directory
>> called install files which has all files from the DVD.  Using that as
>> the target worked.
>

> It seems to be a common problem, so it would be nice to have some kind
> of answer on Bugs/F10Common.
>
> I have heard rumours that apparently the images/install.img part of
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f10/en_US/sn-installing-from-harddrive.html
> also applies to
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f10/en_US/sn-nfs-install-settings.html.
> Or that stage2.img can be placed somewhere specified on the command line
> with stage2=.
>
> Exactly which NFS guide and which appendix are you referring to?

The installation guide that is linked from the project page.
>From the project page, I clicked get Fedora and then click the
installation guide.  (Fedora 10 installation guide).
Then from there,

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f10/en_US/sn-cobbler-setup-distro.html

I used the options given to mount a DVD ISO image (just above the part
to support NFS installation.)

> It would be nice if you or someone else could test and share some exact
> knowledge. ;-)

Well, I can say that mounting it with -o loop and copying the entire
contents of the directory to another directory, then using that
directory as target, seems to work.

What other sort of testing would you like?  I can always check if the
install will start, but I'm not sure if I can do any of it before
tomorrow.)

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Giles: I need you to take Spike for a few days.
Xander: What?
Spike: What?
Anya: What?
Spike: I'm not stayin' with him.
Giles: I have a friend who's coming to town, and I'd like us to
be alone.
Anya: Oh, you mean an orgasm friend?
Giles: Yes, that's exactly the most appalling thing you could
have said.