NFS installation issue (minor)

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Thu Nov 27 18:16:55 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 01:00:14PM -0500, Scott Robbins wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 05:40:22PM +0100, Mads Kiilerich wrote:
> > Scott Robbins wrote:

> >> should be added.  (In the appendix--it might be worth giving a link to
> >> that as the NFS guide just says prepare installation media, which is a
> >> bit frustrating, when you're trying to get it done as the significant
> >> other is speaking about how you have to leave early, etc., but that's
> >> not relevant, save for comic relief.)
> >>
> >> I then did a mount of the ISO with suggested options and still got the
> >> same error.  (all the options listed in creating an installation
> >> server).

Ok, I just tested again.  I realized that I had actually missed a line
in the instructions.  The instructions to which I linked in my last post

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f10/en_US/sn-cobbler-setup-distro.html

specifically mention the exports file must include the mounted
directory, which I'd missed.  I have a directory F10, with a
subdirectory mount.  I'd mounted the ISO with the suggested options on
the subdirectory "mount"

However, my exports file only exported F10.  Changing that to F10/mount
enabled me to start an installation with a mounted DVD.

In the spirit of investigation, I tried mounting without the suggested
options, just using -o loop, however, that would not work.  The options
in the instructions were necessary.  (I didn't take it to the point of
leaving out option 1, trying again, option 2, trying again etc. )

So, the current instructions do work for me.  The surprise is that the
iso image does have to be mounted--I'm not sure when that happened, as I
don't recollect the last time I did an install from NFS save for RH and
CentOS servers.   (That is, I don't remember if I did or didn't install
F9 with NFS.)

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Xander: Generally speaking, when scary things get scared, not
good.