PulseAudio info needed

stan eiqep_eiwo_y at cox.net
Thu Nov 27 19:10:57 UTC 2008

Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 10:37:26 -0700
> stan <eiqep_eiwo_y at cox.net> wrote:
>
>> And my suggestion is that pulseaudio should be integrated
>> into ALSA.  That is, it becomes invisible to most users
>
> The trouble is, it is really easy to understand why people
> could grow to hate ALSA. It is way too low level. For instance
> to get a DVD played with the digital sound directly routed
> out of the SP/DIF interface on my motherboard, I have to
> say this:

I think we're saying the same thing.  Alsa should stay low
level, providing the full functionality that every sound
device provides.

pulseaudio should be the interface in alsa that allows you
to either have access to that low level capability if you
want it, or high level capability like you describe above at
the touch of a button.  So pulse is a plugin framework into
alsa, where if there is no plugin you get alsa, otherwise
the high level functionality.

And all of this occurs transparently to the average user
that doesn't care.  They don't even know there is something
called pulse or alsa.  Applications just use the alsa api or
the pulse plugin functionality as a stop on the way to the
alsa api as they see fit and know one knows.

Sound just works.  Are we there?  No.  Are we in sight?  On
a clear sunny day, if we get tossed in the air.  :-^