PulseAudio info needed

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Fri Nov 28 11:37:21 UTC 2008

On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 08:47:57AM +0100, Gianluca Sforna wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 5:12 PM, Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I get quite angry at the number of times I see replies like 'disable
> > pulseaudio and you'll have no more problems' - but I have not counter-
> > arguments.
> >

> I suggest you base at least some of the material on Lennart Poettering blog
> http://0pointer.de/blog
>
> and in particular the "PulseAudio FUD" post here:
> http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/jeffrey-stedfast.html

That's not a counter argument, it seems to agree.  Its developer says
that it's not ready for prime time, though he phrases it differently.

Interesting that he feels Fedora, where sound doesn't Just Work unless
you use Gnome, did a good job of implementing it, whereas Ubuntu, where
sound works without any effort in console, fluxbox, and the like, did a
bad job.

I'm not a big fan of alsa either, actually.  The BSDs do quite well
without it.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Spike: Death is your art. You make it with your hands day after
day. That final gasp, that look of peace. And part of you is
desperate to know: What's it like? Where does it lead you? And
now you see, that's the secret. Not the punch you didn't throw or
the kicks you didn't land. She really wanted it. Every Slayer has
a death wish. Even you.