Selinux .vs. Apache

Matej Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Sat Nov 29 22:22:45 UTC 2008

On 2008-11-29, 21:02 GMT, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:
> I don't know if Linux really needs Selinux.  If it does, it
> needs something that doesn't get in the way of normal
> system functions.

a) I don't know if Linux needs SELinux, but I am quite certain,
that you need it -- running apache on server is the prime example
of configuration where SELinux is needed most.
b) If the "normal functions" means "I want to do whatever I want
to do and I resist to learn anything new", then you have probably
big problem. Aside from simple recipe which somebody suggested,
I would dare to ask -- why in the world you need webserver data
in /srv? What would happen if you had them in /var/www/ where
Fedora apache expects them (and where SELinux is more than happy
to protect your server from many kinds of attack)?

Best,

Matěj