is there a way to tell that you have ext4 filesystem vs ext3

Will Woods wwoods at redhat.com
Sun Oct 5 14:57:11 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-10-03 at 18:11 -0700, Antonio Olivares wrote:

> [...]

Run 'mount'. If it's ext4, the filesystem will be listed as 'ext4dev'.

> > > I used ext4 boot parameter to install Fedora 10 Beta,
> > but I am not sure that the filesystem is ext4 :(

Unless you did custom partitioning and told it to use ext4, you got the
standard setup - which means ext3.

> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Antonio
> >
> > If you run Gparted, will it show the file system type
> > correctly?
>
> Gparted does not show the filesystem types?  If it does, how do I run it?
> I tried LiveCD, but it does not show what filesystem type it is.  fdisk shows:
>
> [root at riohigh ~]# fdisk -l

fdisk shows the *partition* type. partitions can contain any filesystem
type that Linux knows about. So this won't help.

-w