F10 beta: No xorg.conf, where to tweak Synaptics pad?

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Oct 9 23:15:26 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-09 at 17:08 -0600, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> This I happen to know.  Please tell that to somebody who installs
> F10 for the first time and runs into troubles with a display
> or a Synaptics configuration.
>
> There were indeed times when I was writing XF86Config files
> mostly "by hand" or with a help of tools which were helping
> only a tiny bit.  I believe that this was a major turn off
> for a lot of people.  It appears that if I have troubles with
> what was autoconfigured then I am back to that time again.
>
> I am also worried what will happen in the future although that
> this particular file will stop beeing recognized does not seem
> to be likely (with X not really tied up to Gnome).  That this
> general trend is what gets me worried.

You happen to pick on one of the worst drivers out there, synaptics.
These wouldn't work for configuration without fiddling with a config
file in the first place, because of it's crappy ass configuration system
relying on insecure methods.

In the future, where the norm is no X config, crap like this wouldn't be
accepted and wouldn't be here to deal with.

So yeah, we've got few wrinkles to work out, and some cruft leftover
from the past to clean up, but that's not bad.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!