XO: Success with 4 Gig Card

Bryan Kearney bkearney at redhat.com
Wed Oct 15 12:30:31 UTC 2008

Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-10-14 at 21:49 -0400, Bryan Kearney wrote:
>> 1) GDK has not updated his blog
>
> Heh -- I updated mine :)
>
>> 2) The initial boot is very slow, with no feedback (no hotdog man)
>
> Slow isn't entirely unexpected.  The fact that the progress bar finishes
> with the text plugin before we're done is something that might need some
> general plymouth looking at.  And we're getting the text plugin due to a
> dependency loop (again).  *sigh*
>
>> 3) many windows are much snappier.
>
> Yep, should be.  And there are some bugs in the geode driver that
> upstream was looking at getting us a fix for soon which should help even
> more
>
>> 4) new windows such as font preferences and terminal preferences are
>> painfully slow (the latter is going on 5 mins)
>
> Is this when you already have a lot of things running?

No.. I logged in and immediately went to Preferences -> Look and Feel ->
Appearance. I would estimate about a minute to bring up the fonts tab
after the first tab came up. I then launched a terminal. I then launched
firefox. I went back to the terminal to click on a menu.  I got this
screen for about 5 minutes:

http://picasaweb.google.com/bryan.kearney/Olpc#5257189804330963746

>> 5) Still get kernel panic at the beginning
>
> I haven't actually seen this on the FedoraOnXO deptree... can someone
> file it against the kernel and have it block the tracker?

I will look this morning. I think someone else posted the info to the list.

-- bk