F-10 snap2 X server fails to find keyboard or mouse

Robert Nichols rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net
Sat Oct 18 18:23:12 UTC 2008

Robert Nichols wrote:
> Trying F-10 snap2 on my "workhorse" machine:
> Motherboard: Asus P4S800
> CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3 GHz
>
> Firstboot tries to run in graphical mode at the appropriate display
> resolution (1280x1024), but the X server fails to find either the
> AT keyboard or PS/2 mouse.  That leaves only the power switch and
> reset button as the only functional inputs.  When I look at
> firstbootX.log I see:
>
> (II) Cannot locate a core pointer device.
> (II) Cannot locate a core keyboard device.
> (II) The server relies on HAL to provide the list of input devices.
>         If no devices become available, reconfigure HAL or disable
> AllowEmptyInput.
>
> I don't know enough about HAL to have any clue about how to proceed.

FWIW, the F-10 kernel does detect the keyboard and mouse just fine:

kernel: PNP: PS/2 Controller [PNP0303:PS2K,PNP0f13:PS2M] at 0x60,0x64 irq 1,12
kernel: serio: i8042 KBD port at 0x60,0x64 irq 1
kernel: serio: i8042 AUX port at 0x60,0x64 irq 12
kernel: mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
kernel: input: AT Translated Set 2 keyboard as /devices/platform/i8042/serio0/input/input3

                 Do NOT delete it.