f9 gnome auto login questions

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Sun Oct 19 22:16:31 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-10-19 at 18:05 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 11:59:02AM -0700, Skunk Worx wrote:
> > Skunk Worx wrote:

> >> Thanks for the suggestion, Adam...bz # 467569
> >
> > Note : renaming /usr/bin/gdmflexiserver, as mentioned in a similar
> > Ubuntu bug report (referenced in the bz), appears to disable the "Switch
> > User" button.
>
> That's definitely not the right solution for disabling user switching.
>
> I believe the correct way is to edit
> /etc/gconf/schemas/desktop_gnome_lockdown.schemas, changing the entry:
>
> /schemas/desktop/gnome/lockdown/disable_user_switching
>
> ...to be <default>true</default> for all users.
>
> You should never have to monkey with things in /usr to set
> configurations like this.

That is right....but changing a gconf schema is not the right way to
change a default either. Run gconf-editor as root, open a "Defaults
Window", and change the value there. That'll make the change in the
"Defaults database" in /etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults. If you don't want
any user to be able to change this, you can use a "Mandatory Window",
to make the change in the "Mandatory database", which takes precedence
over user settings.

Matthias