Sound and F10 release

Fulko Hew fulko.hew at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 17:25:05 UTC 2008

> On Tue, 2008-10-21 at 18:39 +0200, Antonio M wrote:
>
> > this bug is not young, and it was already reported in F9, that
> > probably means that sound system has not been working in Fedora for at
> > least 3 months...do you know any modern OS where sound system is
> > bugged and you cant' play music or listen to radio???? or shall we
> > think that multimedia will be dropped??? let me know ....if you plan a
> > Release day, sound system is a must...

Unfortunately, I have to agree with Antonio...
I'm currently still using F8 (because I didn't see a compelling
reason to migrate to F9) but I _am_ evaluating and testing F10.

I (personally) have a few pre-requisites that make F10 a go/no-go
decision:

1/ KDE 4.x must work at least as good as good as 3.x.  But its not there!
   (Gnome is a non-runner for me.)
  a) double clicking the menu icon does not kill the app (even thought
     the option is enabled.)
  b) the (re-written) calendar tasklet still doesn't support the
     multi-timezone display that the old version does.  And its popup
     calendar disappears as soon as you click anywhere else on the screen
    (making the calendar next to worthless, and definately a major pain in
     the *&&%^%$#^%)
  c) the newsticker writes all over the taskbar, and doesn't seem to be
     controlable.

2/ I need to wait until there are more KDE themes available (like in 3.5 so
   I can find a usable one.)  I once read that if you see a 'black' based
   web page/theme, it was probably created by someone under 20 years old.
   Well I'm now over 50, and I'd like an easier to see' theme!  Black with
   chrome'y highlights does not make it easy to look at.

3/ Start-up sound breaks up/stutters.  If its that bad on startup, I'm
   not even going to test any other sound application.  :-(

Perhaps most of my complaints are about KDE... I don't know.
But right now, at least for me... and probably others (like Antonio)
F10 isn't (really) usable for any number of reasons.

And before you ask... no I haven't filed bugs on these items, because
I've gotten jaded with the process; when... 2 years and 3 releases after
submitting a bugzilla entry, I keep getting emails: '...try it again on
the most recent release... Yes, it still fails...' that I have to ask...
why bother?

Sorry for the rant.

Frustrated, but not giving up hope yet...
(and _my_ sound doesn't work right either...)

Fulko