Plymouth on ATI and nVidia

Christopher A. Williams chriswfedora at cawllc.com
Wed Oct 29 16:23:03 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-29 at 14:52 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> First of all
> Nvidia does not work and so far and there is nothing that indicates it
> will work in the near future.

Truly a bummer! Given the large number of nVidia card users there are, I
would think this should be more of a priority. Please don't let this
turn into a philosophical discussion (aka a flame fest) on nVidia vs.
others. A lot of people use nVidia cards - we need to deal with that and
respond to the end user population accordingly...

> Intel Graphics cards did not make it into F10 in time but will be pushed
> A) as an update  B) It will be in F11
>
> ATI cards are supported but there has been issue with some cards but
> these issue are being fixed as each day passes.
>
> With your T400 make sure that you have changed these bios settings..
>
> You have Change to Internal or ATI Graphics with...
> Config --> Display --> Graphics Device --> [Integrated graphics]( INTEL
> ) or [Discrete Graphics](ATI)
>
> And
>
> Disable OS Detection for Switchable Graphics.
> Otherwise it will mysteriously switch back to Switchable Graphics.
>
> Then check if plymouth works with the default (radeon) driver being in
> use by X

I already had to do this just to get F10 Snap 3 even to install and have
video of any kind show up. Still not working. I guess I'll keep
following the updates and we'll see when we catch up.

Cheers,

Chris