F10 beta KDE LiveCD

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 1 11:33:15 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 01 October 2008 11:49:03 Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > I regret to report that this is an abysmal failure on my Acer Travelmate
> > laptop.
> >
> > The display booted and looked fine.  Hovering over the widget for battery
> > status/cpu frequency popped up a display.  A right-click on the panel
> > brought nothing.  A click on the F menu brought nothing.  I moved back to
> > the widget that had first worked, and at that point the mouse pointer
> > froze. Ctrl-alt-backspace does nothing, so I suspect that the keyboard is
> > not being read either.
> >
> > Hardware
> > Pentium M730 cpu
> > ATi Mobility Radeon X600
> >
> > didn't get as far as testing network.
> >
> > Anne
>
> Try booting it with the kernel parameter nomodeset.

Yes, that seems to have cured it.  What exactly is that doing?

During the boot message the only thing I saw which may explain what was going
on was

ACPI:EC:GPI Storm detected, disabling EC GPE

My wifi connection accepted configuring (WPA+PSK) and works.

Sound was disabled, but appeared to accept enabling.  Just one mixer channel
was shown.  Attempting to play a sound om Dragon Player resulted in
KDE-Im-Connection-Lost - and silence.

Fonts in dolphin are very "dotty"

Anything else you'd like to to try?

Anne