misc problems with f10beta live USB

David L idht4n at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 16:11:09 UTC 2008

Here are a few miscellaneous problem I noticed with
f10beta live USB.  I tried to have a persistent overlay,
but while booting, I noticed a message
"Unable to find persistent overlay".

After booting, alsamixer doesn't work for me:

[fedora at localhost ~]$ alsamixer
I: caps.c: Limited capabilities successfully to CAP_SYS_NICE.
I: caps.c: Dropping root priviliges.
I: caps.c: Limited capabilities successfully to CAP_SYS_NICE.
ALSA lib pulse.c:266:(pulse_connect) PulseAudio: Unable to connect:
Connection refused

alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: Connection refused

I've always had problems with PulseAudio, so I tried to remove it:

yum remove pulseaudio
Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
Setting up Remove Process
Could not retrieve mirrorlist
http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=rawhide&arch=i386 error was
[Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (-2, 'Name or service not known')>
Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository:
rawhide. Please verify its path and try again

______

System->Preferences->Hardware->Sound ->Test Sound Capture:
gconfaudiosrc ! audioconvert ! audioresample ! gconfaudiosink profile=chat:
Could not open audio device for recording.

_______

[fedora at localhost ~]$ totem
Segmentation fault

[fedora at localhost ~]$ totem
I: caps.c: Limited capabilities successfully to CAP_SYS_NICE.
I: caps.c: Dropping root priviliges.
I: caps.c: Limited capabilities successfully to CAP_SYS_NICE.
I: caps.c: Limited capabilities successfully to CAP_SYS_NICE.
I: caps.c: Dropping root priviliges.
I: caps.c: Limited capabilities successfully to CAP_SYS_NICE.
I: caps.c: Limited capabilities successfully to CAP_SYS_NICE.
I: caps.c: Dropping root priviliges.
I: caps.c: Limited capabilities successfully to CAP_SYS_NICE.
I: caps.c: Limited capabilities successfully to CAP_SYS_NICE.
I: caps.c: Dropping root priviliges.
I: caps.c: Limited capabilities successfully to CAP_SYS_NICE.
The program 'totem' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)'.
  (Details: serial 46 error_code 11 request_code 140 minor_code 19)