F10 Beta testing resaults :)

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Wed Oct 1 17:43:28 UTC 2008

greg wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-09-30 at 17:51 -0700, Peter Gordon wrote:
>> On Tue, 2008-09-30 at 16:02 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>>> Noticed that Pidgin has been replaced by the crappy not working [segfaulting]
>>> 100%  cpu load causing piece if shit IM better known as Empathy
>>> ( Me bitter no well yes.. )
>> Well that's not very constructive. :)
>>
>> What specific problems are you having with it? How can they be
>> reproduced? Please file appropriately detailed bugs on
>> bugzilla.redhat.com so that we may attempt to fix these issues before
>> F10-GA if they are truly present.
>>
>> Fwiw, I made the choice to switch to Empathy for the F10 beta exactly
>> for the purposes of testing it and trying to squash any last-minute bugs
>> in it. Whether or not it will be the default in F10 proper is still
>> being considered. Likely, it still needs a lot of work in various areas
>> (see [1]), so we may end up reverting to Pidgin as the default IM
>> client, then go with Empathy from F11 and onward as circumstances
>> permit.
>>
>> [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/EmpathyVsPidginUsability
>> --
>
> i'd have to agree,, Empathy needs more work on it before it becomes
> default IM.whereas Pidgin is near complete, but at the end of the day,
> its just as easy to do a
>
> yum remove empathy
> yum install Pidgin
>
> but what i dont understand is why create another IM when you can/could
> just improve Pidgin? surely there's Devs out there that could Help the
> Pidgin Devs out an improve it than Creating another Instant Messenger

I have to chime in here as well.  Any default baseline desktop app (like
an IM client or something as basic as the desktop itself) had better be
pretty functional and stable or the release will be rapidly vilified in
the public's eye.  Look at what happened with KDE 4.0 in F9.  Sheesh!

If you're going to force the change to a different application (and I
use that term to signify what will be installed by default), that new
application should be compatible with and offer similar or better
capabilities than the old one and offer an easy way to upgrade existing
data to it.  I've not tried Empathy, but I surely do NOT want to have
to re-enter all my account data from Pidgin into Empathy.  That's
onerous to say the least.

Can someone "in the know" give one an idea as to what's involved in
making decisions as to what will be "default" in the future?  I'm
curious.  Some of the decisions in the past have been questionable to
say the least.
-    Admitting you have a problem is the first step toward getting   -
-    medicated for it.      -- Jim Evarts (http://www.TopFive.com)   -