F10 Beta testing resaults :)

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Wed Oct 1 22:27:59 UTC 2008

Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:
> Rick Stevens wrote:
>> greg wrote:
[snip]
>> Can someone "in the know" give one an idea as to what's involved in
>> making decisions as to what will be "default" in the future?  I'm
>> curious.  Some of the decisions in the past have been questionable to
>> say the least.
>>
> I do believe the answer is in David Nielsen response.
>
> "It was made the default im app in upstream GNOME, we do I believe still
> have a feature to track GNOME 2.24"

So I guess this should be asked of the Gnome team, eh?

> I guess I should dig deeper into the Features list in the near future...
>
> "If Pidgin was installed previously, it remains installed. On new
> installations we will install Empathy"

The problem is the upgrade process between versions has never been
particularly smooth.  If history repeats itself (and I sure don't see
that tradition changing soon), MANY people will end up backing up user
data and special configs and installing F10 fresh.  Voila!  No Pidgin.
Lovely.

> So I guess we are stuck with Empathy not both to coexist hell. they
> don't even allow the fedora lock theme to be enabled
> by default which btw you can enable it by doing this..
> gconftool-2 --set --type string
> /apps/gnome-screensaver/lock_dialog_theme "system"
>
> I just hope that the art team has not given up on creating art for the
> lock theme.

Well, I suppose I shall have to install F9 on ye ol' labrat machine
and run F10 as a domU under it to test this stuff.  To be honest, I
think the release cycle is a bit too short for practicality--especially
when you run into things like the new IM client segfaulting.
-  A friend said he climbed to the top of Mount Ranier.  My view is  -
-    that if there's no elevator, it must not be that interesting.   -