F10 Beta testing resaults :)

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski D.Mierzejewski at icm.edu.pl
Thu Oct 2 14:52:08 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 09:26:01AM -0500, Jerry Amundson wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 12:33 AM, Peter Gordon <peter at thecodergeek.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2008-10-02 at 00:05 -0500, Jerry Amundson wrote:
> >> Au contraire, mon ami. [On the contrary, my friend.]
> >> "Beta and pre-releases in general" (rawhide as we know it) is no more than a
> >> "Add/Remove Software" (Package Manager)
> >> Edit->Repositories, checkbox "development" away from my 93-year old,
> >> computer illiterate, cannot setup-his-way-out-of-a-vcr-remote
> >> grandfather adding complete crap packages on his desktop, you might
> >> reconsider that statement.
> >
> > And you would grant that level of root-password-required access to such
> > a person...why, exactly? :)
>
> Heh. Good point!
>
> >> In general, code quality in open source software currently SUCKS.
> >
> > We are all human. From that, errors are inherent to and unavoidable in
> > anything we - as a society or as individuals - produce: including code.
>
> I understand that, but it's the recent quantity of the lack-of-quality
> that worries me.
>
> > However, one of F/OSS's many benefits is the great number of people
> > perusing and (hopefully) quickly improving upon that as time passes.
>
> Several days of having an extra large paper weight on my desk due to
> broken e1000e,

That kind of problem happens very rarely and - as you can read in the news
- it's being worked on by both Intel and kernel developers.

> ati,

AMD has released a lot of documentation and work on radeon/radeonhd drivers
is progressing nicely. Radeonhd works fine for me. If fglrx doesn't work
for you, we can't do anything about it. Ask AMD for support.

Regards,
R.

--
Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <rathann*at*icm.edu.pl>  |  LAN  Staff
Interdisciplinary Centre for Mathematical and Computational Modelling