serious font rendering problems after 20081007 changes

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Wed Oct 8 00:13:31 UTC 2008

After applying updates from 20081007 (quite a few) my display
developed serious issues with font rendering.  The easiest is to
see that in gnome-terminal as it is easy to change magnification
with the same text displayed.  Depending on a magnification
degree different glyphs are affected.  They can be distorted,
or some pixels shifted to a side, or stripes of missing pixels
are running across and similar.  Only after raising magnification
to some ridiculous degree a display becomes "clean".  Fonts
in menus and window bars are affected as well but here changing
sizes is a bit more involved.  Before updates there was no
problem.

Do other see similar things happening?  I would file a bug
report, with pictures to illustrate the issue, but any idea
about which component we are talking about?  I am not sure.
Maybe this is xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.5.1-6.fc10.x86_64 or
a freshly installed babl-0.0.22-1.fc10.x86_64.  Something else?

   Michal