Received your XO? Let us know!

NiftyFedora Mitch niftyfedora at niftyegg.com
Thu Oct 9 00:23:21 UTC 2008

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 8:24 PM, Brian Powell <bpowell01 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Finally got a chance to get some time on the XO and as delivered the
> unit would not boot properly and it kept powering itself off. So I
> followed the steps of a clean install and it began going through the
> erase process but only got about 5 lines of blocks (green) before the
> unit shut itself down again when it rebooted I get nothing but a blank
> screen and now the battery light blinking red.
>

> Any suggestions?

Blinking red is supposed to be a low battery indicator.

Fully power off the XO by holding the power button about 10 seconds...
Reinstall the battery on the chance that the battery contacts are not
exactly so.

Charge the battery for 90 min with the green wall wart without
powering the XO on.

Boot the XO while powered on....  the escape key (upper left) and other
key codes may be verbose enough to help:

    http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Cheat_codes

With luck the update that apparently failed built the alternate boot
(Game pad 'O') and you can
get things back.

If the software install fell flat in the middle (after the erase and prior to
a sane state) you may need to build and boot from a USB key.

Updates need a fully charged battery and wall power for safety from
interruption.

--
        NiftyFedora
        T o m   M i t c h e l l