XO: Not so good so far

Bryan Kearney bkearney at redhat.com
Thu Oct 9 12:15:11 UTC 2008

Adrian Mandy wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 2:46 PM, Tarus Balog <tarus at opennms.org
> <mailto:tarus at opennms.org>> wrote:
>
>     Gang:
>
>     I'm curious how everyone else is getting on. I followed the FAQ:
>
>     https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/TestPlans/Fedora10_On_XO#Installing_your_SD_card
>
>     and was able to get the XO to boot into Fedora (cute hotdog). But
>     then I get a kernel warning on the Desktop:
>
>     http://www.opennms.org/XO/XO-KernelFail.jpg
>
>     Looking through /var/log/messages I don't see anything real useful -
>     no panics or errors that stand out. The load is very high, with a 15
>     minute load average near 8.
>
>     I was curious if anyone else had managed to get things going a bit
>     better, and if I needed to be using a different image, etc.
>

> I was having similar issues. I added the persistent overlay and a swap
> partition and that helped a lot. It would lock up before and now it is
> slightly more usable. When I run top it reports about 85% idle on the
> cpu. The tips here
> http://katzj.livejournal.com/440444.html
> helped but didn't quite work I had to look here
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD/USBHowTo#Errors_and_Solutions
> to get it all working.
>
> I'm going to try launching firefox now!

I added a 512M overlay, and it sped things up. I am seeing (based on
eyeball and tzclock)

20 seconds to hotdog.
3 min 20 seconds to login page

As I mentioned in other emails
- I get the kernel panic
- I do get the occasional lockups
- I had to change my default font size from 201dpi to 96 dpi.
- I still see the invalid iomem size comment.

Qustion.. how do I boot to single user mode? I dont see the grub screen
to play with

-- bk