F10 beta: No xorg.conf, where to tweak Synaptics pad?

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Fri Oct 10 21:57:40 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 02:58:03PM +0200, Matej Cepl wrote:
> On 2008-10-09, 23:13 GMT, Scott Robbins wrote:
> > I don't think that's practical with Fedora because of its very
> > nature as, more or less, a test bed.  However, things that are
>                            ^^^^^^^^^^^
> I would prefer to characterize Fedora as a developer's
> distribution of choice, but whatever.

Fair enough.
There were a lot of replies to this, let me try to do an overly brief
summation.

PROBLEM:  Often, major changes are only documented in the release notes,
which most people don't read.  My feeling on this is that this is
because the release notes are quite complete, and major changes may be
easily overlooked.  Some feel that if the users won't read the release
notes, then it's on their own head.  Others feel there should be a
better way.

I can think of two examples of how others have dealt with the issue.
One example is Ubuntu.  For example, when they brought pulse-audio into
their alpha or beta, the Hardy one, I think, they had an easy to find
thing on their front page, mentioning it.  They also mentioned
NOTE--this may break sound if you don't use Gnome.

One problem with this one is that Fedora is a developer's distribution
in many ways.   :)  (Or a testbed) <ducks>.

However, FreeBSD, while having very complete release notes also deals
with major possible surprises by having an UPDATING section.  When one
downloads the latest source code, they will look at /usr/src/UPDATING,
which will usually (of course, it's not perfect) mention changes and
possible solutions for issues that will affect most users.

Does this seem feasible?  For example, things like no more default
xorg.conf (even if it's not deprecated).  Other things that spring to
mind are things like tying sound to ConsoleKit which broke sound for
many people.

Basically, the major changes that may affect many users, especially when
they don't use Gnome.  Many times, as a fluxbox user, I've come across
things that seem to almost be a Just Me (TM) issue, that work properly
if I use Gnome.

So, that's my suggestion.  Include an UPDATING that gets updated when
various changes that might surprise people are made.  What might
surprise people is of course, subjective, but....

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Riley: Buffy . . . I feel like we've gotten really close. At
least I thought we had. I don't know much about Angel or your
relationship with him . . but . . . all I ask is . . if you're
gonna break heart, do it fast.
Buffy: What? You think that Angel and I...
Riley: Didn't you?
Buffy: No. Of course not. How can you even ask me that?
Riley: I don't know. Xander said...
Buffy: Xander?! Oh, he's the deadest man in Deadonia.