Wireless not quite working on Asus EeePC 4G Surf

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Mon Oct 13 07:57:54 UTC 2008

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 10:15:49AM +0300, Alexander Todorov wrote:

> Morning all,
> i've been trying to make wireless work on my Asus EeePC, but no luck.

> + latest updates) and it just works fine while on the eeepc NM doesn't detect
> any wireless networks. I wasn't able to find any useful information on the web
> except installing mad-wifi which I think is not needed with the latest kernel
> anymore. Any help is appreciated.

If you mean the 2.6.27-x kernels, you are correct, you will not need
MadWifi drivers, though you might have to manually insert the ath5k
module.

However, at least one other person, as well as myself, had the following
experience with F10 and the Aspire One, which uses the same AR5007EG
card.  (I'm not really familiar with the Asus line.  I assume the 4 gig
surf is one of the earlier ones with that card.  The newest 901 and 1000
use a Realtek card.)

The card would be recognized, but would only work with unencrypted
networks with the live CD.  We had to upgrade the kernel before it would
work properly.

For what it's worth, though I've had no trouble with the builtin 2.6.27
ath5k driver after the upgrade, some people on the Aspire One forums
have found, with Ubuntu at least, that though it would sometimes work,
they were better off still using the latest MadWifi snapshots.  However,
with the 2.6.27 kernels, this shouldn't be necessary.  So, you might
try that if all else fails.  I have a page on it that some folks have
found helpful, which goes through the steps of installing the MadWifi
drivers (though the page mentions that I haven't found it necessary with
2.6.27) at
http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/rhwireless.html#5007

(Although I haven't yet found what sysctl values replace the old ones
that got the LED to work.  In the 2.6.26 kernels it was dev.wifi.ledpin
and dev.wifi.softled.)

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Adam: You failed me.
Spike: Let's not quibble about who failed who.