Using the XO with the gnome image

Blake St. Claire blakestclaire at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 17:15:27 UTC 2008

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 12:35 PM, Rahul Sundaram
<sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Tarus Balog wrote:
>>
>> On Oct 10, 2008, at 7:10 PM, Josh Bressers wrote:
>>
>>> If you don't fix the image, the machine will eat up too much RAM and
>>> won't run, so you need to use an overlay file so the changes stick
>>> between
>>> reboots.
>>
>> Can you point me to a URL/description of how to set up an overlay?
>>

> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD/USBHowTo#Data_Persistence

And what isn't stated here is that the partition on your SD has to be
big enough to hold both the live image and the overlay.

I have a 4G SD. If you have a 2G SD you'll have to shrink the swap
and/or the overlay to fit.

I finally ended up partitioning my SD with parted so that slice 1 is a
512MB linux-swap and slice 2 is the remainder.

Then simply add '--overlay-size-mb xxxx', where xxxx is <= 2047, to
the options when you image your SD card with livecd-iso-to-disk.sh

Thus if you have a 2G SD you could use 512MB for swap and that would
leave about 832MB for the overlay. Don't forget to 'format' your swap
partition with mkswap.

With that I was finally able to start a terminal window and run top.

Now I need to find the hint someone had about enabling sub-pixel
rendering so that my fonts aren't clipped.

HTH

/Blake