GNOME woes on the XO / A modest proposal

Jack Spaar jspaar at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Oct 13 19:17:19 UTC 2008

On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 11:50:09 -0400, Steven Salevan wrote:

> Hey guys,
> At the moment, it appears that GNOME is borderline dysfunctional on my
> XO, despite applying the recommended speed fixes (creating a persistent
> overlay, turning off swappiness).
[...]

I'm also finding the recent GNOME iso un-testable on the XO for the
reasons you mention.  However, when I tested an earlier version of the F10
live iso that Jeremy Katz produced for the XO, even without swap it was
very functional and at least fairly usable.  (It was too slow, but nowhere
near as slow as the current iso, and it didn't crash or freeze.)

Upshot: XFCE might well be better, but my guess is that GNOME is not the
first-order problem here given the earlier success.

--Jack Spaar