GNOME woes on the XO / A modest proposal

David Nalley david at gnsa.us
Mon Oct 13 19:47:28 UTC 2008

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 3:17 PM, Jack Spaar
<jspaar at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> I'm also finding the recent GNOME iso un-testable on the XO for the
> reasons you mention.  However, when I tested an earlier version of the F10
> live iso that Jeremy Katz produced for the XO, even without swap it was
> very functional and at least fairly usable.  (It was too slow, but nowhere
> near as slow as the current iso, and it didn't crash or freeze.)
>
> Upshot: XFCE might well be better, but my guess is that GNOME is not the
> first-order problem here given the earlier success.

Jack,
I have found the same thing - the previous image was far more usable,
a bit slow but not too bad and certainly not to the point where the
machine just wouldn't work.
While we all are thinking that gnome is too heavy, I think there is
something else that is the problem.
I wonder if LXDE is an option - it's a bit more newb friendly from an
interface perspective than xfce and supposedly a bit lighter.