GNOME woes on the XO / A modest proposal

Joshua Daniel Franklin jdf.lists at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 20:59:55 UTC 2008

I'd love to see multiple "spins" for anyone with the time to try them out.
This would include xfce, headless, beowulf cluster, etc. :)

However, I think in the testing period we should stick to our goal of
running the stock Fedora 10 LiveCD on the XO.  Keep in mind that
if that's not possible, then running Fedora 10 LiveCD on *any* older
hardware similar to the XO is also not possible. That sounds like a
bug to me. Maybe we need to check bogomips in firstboot and cut
down on services and switch to some sort of "lightweight GNOME"
or xfce. I would argue for GNOME first since there are a lot of
guides and screenshots for newbies that assume certain things
about the menus.