Grub and Plymouth

Mike Chambers mike at miketc.net
Tue Oct 14 06:33:02 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-10-13 at 22:33 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> Christopher David Desjardins wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a couple of questions regarding grub and plymouth and whether
> > what I'm seeing may or may not be a bug.
> >
> > First, when I boot my laptop I am usually greeted by a GRUB menu with a
> > background image, this is not the case in F10.  Instead, my laptop goes
> > automatically into booting from a blank screen.  Then I get a couple of
> > messages and then plymouth starts.  Is this normal or should I get the
> > usual GRUB menu with the count down allowing me to select kernels?
> > Note: this laptop is only running F10 it's not a dual boot or anything
> > strange.
> >

> This is expected behaviour press esc key while the black screen is displayed
> and the grub menu gets displayed.

Just hitting the space bar, maybe any key will get the grub menu when it
first starts to boot before plymouth.

> > Second, when plymouth starts my screen is black except for a progress
> > bar, which is doesn't progress smoothly and changes a few colours with
> > the words Fedora 9.92 in the lower right hand corner.  However, the
> > progress bar does eventual fill out though it still flickers with
> > different colours.  I have an intel 945 video chip.
> >

> Also expected.
> KMS works only on ATI cards, Intel not far away but probably wont make
> it in time for F10
> Nvidia some where in the distant future...

I have an nvidia chipset, and I see the same thing the OP mentioned.  So
this isn't what is shown with ATI Cards/chipsets?  If not, what do
*they* see? Is there a screen shot out there somewhere of what *should*
be shown?

--
Mike Chambers
mikec302 at fedoraproject.org