Grub and Plymouth

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at hi.is
Tue Oct 14 09:56:17 UTC 2008

Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
> Quoting Jerry Amundson <jamundso at gmail.com>:
>

>> On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 1:33 AM, Mike Chambers <mike at miketc.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I have an nvidia chipset, and I see the same thing the OP mentioned.  So
>>> this isn't what is shown with ATI Cards/chipsets?  If not, what do
>>> *they* see? Is there a screen shot out there somewhere of what *should*
>>> be shown?
>>>
>> There is a FIXME on https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/BetterStartup
>> [I can throw something up there when I sort out my FAS login...]
>>
>> However even with ATI cards, Plymouth sometimes does the progress bar,
>> sometimes the pretty infinity thing. Depends maybe on KMS or boot
>>

> Same thing happens on Nvidia cards that supoosely does not have KMS.

The cards that do not support kms get the progress bars other get this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jSh1ZOaNYs

Note This is what most ATI card owners are supposed to get.
( If not file a bug report )

Intel and Nvidia and other unsupported graphic cards owner will get the
"progress bar"
since KMS is disabled for those cards..

The final artwork will be different than the one on the youtube video
though.

JBG