LiveUSB and PackageKit Updates

Jeff Weiss jweiss at redhat.com
Tue Oct 14 13:04:51 UTC 2008

Michael Solberg wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm sure someone's thought of this before, but I keep running into this
> issue on the LiveUSB on the XO.
>
> The issue is that /var/cache/yum is mounted as tmpfs on the Live image.
> When I log into a desktop session that already knows my wireless key,
> the updates applet attempts to download all the packages from Rawhide.
> This fills the 256MB of RAM pretty quickly and that hangs the machine.
> Does it make sense to turn that applet off in this case?  Or maybe not
> mount /var/cache/yum as tmpfs when there's an overlay?
>
> Michael.

This is two separate issues isn't it?  Doesn't /var/cache/yum get
written to whether you use the applet or yum on the command line?

My understanding of the overlay was that once you write something to it,
that space is gone forever, even if you delete those files.  So having
cache as part of the overlay will just make it fill up quicker.  And
aren't yum cache hits pretty unlikely?  Wouldn't it just be when someone
re-installs something they've uninstalled?  I would have thought tmpfs
is the way to go here - when end users run yum, it's better to
re-download than to use up the overlay - once that's gone, you're hosed.

Jeff Weiss