GNOME woes on the XO / A modest proposal

Joshua Daniel Franklin jdf.lists at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 14:29:28 UTC 2008

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 3:59 PM, Josh Bressers wrote:
> Perhaps it would be worth creating an "tiny" spin or something similar for these
> little netbooks.

Hmm... sounds like UNR: "Hands on with the Ubuntu Netbook Remix"
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080604-hands-on-with-the-ubuntu-netbook-remix.html

I've not used it, but I did a little searching around and looks like the
requirements are in the ballpark of the XO (and eee, etc.):
http://www.canonical.com/projects/ubuntu/nbr
Minimum hardware requirements:
    * Processor: Intel Atom processor
    * RAM: 512 MB
    * Storage: 4 GB Flash disk (SSD) or hard disk

UNR runs GNOME but with a special always-maximized wm maximus, which
is apparently out of sync with upstream according to this recent comment:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/netbook-remix-launcher/+bug/272637/comments/15