Sound issues

Christopher Stover quantumburnz at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 16 00:46:05 UTC 2008

I'm having some really strange sound issues.  I use Rhythmbox to listen to mp3s and radio stations.  After a while, maybe 20-30 min, the music will just stop.  I'll try to play another song or another radio station and I'll hear a second or so of music, then a pause then a split second and nothing else.  During this time, the elapsed time for the song stays at 0:00.  I've figured out that if I type pulseaudio -k I get the following:

[Chris at localhost ~]$ pulseaudio -k
I: caps.c: Limited capabilities successfully to CAP_SYS_NICE.
I: caps.c: Dropping root priviliges.
I: caps.c: Limited capabilities successfully to CAP_SYS_NICE.
N: main.c: Called SUID root and real-time/high-priority scheduling was requested in the configuration. However, we lack the necessary priviliges:
N: main.c: We are not in group 'pulse-rt' and PolicyKit refuse to grant us priviliges. Dropping SUID again.
N: main.c: For enabling real-time scheduling please acquire the appropriate PolicyKit priviliges, or become a member of 'pulse-rt', or increase the RLIMIT_NICE/RLIMIT_RTPRIO resource limits for this user.
W: main.c: High-priority scheduling enabled in configuration but not allowed by policy.

I then start VLC, play an mp3 and I get all the distorted sound that people have been talking about but it plays.  I got this on the command line from VLC which looks pulseaudio related:

I: caps.c: Limited capabilities successfully to CAP_SYS_NICE.
I: caps.c: Dropping root priviliges.
I: caps.c: Limited capabilities successfully to CAP_SYS_NICE.

Finally, if I close VLC and open Rhythmbox, I can miraculously listen to the radio and mp3s!

Chris