Sound issues

Antonio M antonio.montagnani at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 06:15:46 UTC 2008

2008/10/16 Christopher Stover <quantumburnz at hotmail.com>:

> I'm having some really strange sound issues.  I use Rhythmbox to listen to mp3s and radio stations.  After a while, maybe 20-30 min, the music will just stop.  I'll try to play another song or another radio station and I'll hear a second or so of music, then a pause then a split second and nothing else.  During this time, the elapsed time for the song stays at 0:00.  I've figured out that if I type pulseaudio -k I get the following:
>
> [Chris at localhost ~]$ pulseaudio -k
> I: caps.c: Limited capabilities successfully to CAP_SYS_NICE.
> I: caps.c: Dropping root priviliges.
> I: caps.c: Limited capabilities successfully to CAP_SYS_NICE.
> N: main.c: Called SUID root and real-time/high-priority scheduling was requested in the configuration. However, we lack the necessary priviliges:
> N: main.c: We are not in group 'pulse-rt' and PolicyKit refuse to grant us priviliges. Dropping SUID again.
> N: main.c: For enabling real-time scheduling please acquire the appropriate PolicyKit priviliges, or become a member of 'pulse-rt', or increase the RLIMIT_NICE/RLIMIT_RTPRIO resource limits for this user.
> W: main.c: High-priority scheduling enabled in configuration but not allowed by policy.
>
> I then start VLC, play an mp3 and I get all the distorted sound that people have been talking about but it plays.  I got this on the command line from VLC which looks pulseaudio related:
>
> I: caps.c: Limited capabilities successfully to CAP_SYS_NICE.
> I: caps.c: Dropping root priviliges.
> I: caps.c: Limited capabilities successfully to CAP_SYS_NICE.
>
> Finally, if I close VLC and open Rhythmbox, I can miraculously listen to the radio and mp3s!
>
> Chris
>
> --

I have exactly same issues....and tnx for the post that clarifies to
me what happens.
The problem is: what is the component to be filed against in
bugzilla??? pulseaudio??
Furthermore I find that some problem can arise from the fact that
pulseaudio is in rawhide, while most of tools for multimedia (i.e. mp3
codecs) are out of those boundaries....
For your information latest kernel (.13) makes a better job about multimedia.

--
Antonio Montagnani
Skype : antoniomontag