F-10 snap2 X server fails to find keyboard or mouse

Robert Nichols rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net
Sat Oct 18 17:44:15 UTC 2008

Trying F-10 snap2 on my "workhorse" machine:
Motherboard: Asus P4S800
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3 GHz

Firstboot tries to run in graphical mode at the appropriate display
resolution (1280x1024), but the X server fails to find either the
AT keyboard or PS/2 mouse.  That leaves only the power switch and
reset button as the only functional inputs.  When I look at
firstbootX.log I see:

(II) Cannot locate a core pointer device.
(II) Cannot locate a core keyboard device.
(II) The server relies on HAL to provide the list of input devices.
         If no devices become available, reconfigure HAL or disable AllowEmptyInput.

I don't know enough about HAL to have any clue about how to proceed.

                 Do NOT delete it.