Snap2 KDE desktop crashes, konqueror can't resolve names

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Sun Oct 19 17:23:51 UTC 2008

On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 04:14:26PM +0000, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Chuck Anderson <cra <at> WPI.EDU> writes:
> > 1. After booting up the live image without any network cable plugged
> > in, I started Web Browser (konqueror).  This failed with a DNS error
> > page of course since I had no network connection yet. I plugged my
> > Ethernet cable in and NetworkManager got an address without problems.
> > >From konsole I was able to ping and ssh to IP addresses and DNS names
> > without problems.  However, the open web browser still reported DNS
> > errors on every page I tried.  Even closing konqueror and reopening it
> > again didn't clear the error.
>
> I'm not sure what the problem is here. Maybe it cached the failed DNS lookup?

Yeah, it seems like it cached the failed lookup.  Does KDE keep its
own DNS cache somewhere?

> > 2. Shortly after the above tests, I was typing in the terminal and the
> > entire desktop session crashed and sent me back to the KDM login.
> >
> > I rebooted and verified that Konqueror worked correctly if I left the
> > network cable plugged in before logging in and launching the Web
> > Browser.  However, the desktop crashed again in short order.
>
> Try updating imsettings from Rawhide (yes, yet again: Than thought the problems
> were fixed properly and disabled the workaround he added after the beta, but
> there are still problems and so the workaround got reenabled, but it didn't
> make snap2).

I can't find the imsettings package at all on the LiveCD...  Could it
be something else then?