Sound and F10 release

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Tue Oct 21 16:59:54 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-10-21 at 18:39 +0200, Antonio M wrote:
> 2008/10/21 Rex Dieter <rdieter at math.unl.edu>:
> > Dennis J. wrote:
> >
> >> It's obvious that the specific interaction between pulseaudio and alsa is
> >> the problem in these cases but if neither of the stakeholders feel
> >> particular responsible for addressing the issue then I don't see how this
> >> will ever get resolved.
> >
> > Personally, I've not seen any dismissing of responsibility, and leveling
> > such claims doesn't seem constructive to me.
> >
> > I can understand the frustration (ie, "fix it now!"), but fixing such issues
> > is often complex, and doing it properly is the only sane way forward.  For
> > better or worse, that's simply a big job and a lot of work to be done (on
> > all sides... testers, triagers, pkg maintainers, upstreams).
> >
> > -- Rex
> >
> > --
> >

> this bug is not young, and it was already reported in F9, that
> probably means that sound system has not been working in Fedora for at
> least 3 months...do you know any modern OS where sound system is
> bugged and you cant' play music or listen to radio???? or shall we
> think that multimedia will be dropped??? let me know ....if you plan a
> Release day, sound system is a must...

These blanket statements don't help anything.

I have personally played plenty of music on F9 and rawhide machines, so
the sound system is working just fine, right ?

As to the 'alsa works fine, pa doesn't' issue: pa, in particular the
glitch-free stuff, is using parts of the alsa api that your regular
alsa-using app is not touching, and that are therefore less well tested
and expose more driver bugs.

Matthias