Help: Perplexing NetworkManager Problem

kwhiskerz kwhiskerz at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 06:26:36 UTC 2008

Something keeps changing the HWaddr of eth0 to 00:00:00:00:00:00 after every boot, so when I restart the computer, NetworkManager cannot connect.

ifconfig eth0 shows HWaddr 00:00:00:00:00:00!!!
I set it correctly manually and I can connect, then after reboot, same all over again.

NetworkManager creates automatic wired entries called Auto Ethernet, System Ethernet and the like, but they have no HWaddr in them. When I put the real one in and reboot, they are set to all zeros, or are blank.

I have tried setting these autogenerated entries to either use the System Setting, or not, but the result is the same.

I have checked in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0, but the HWaddr is correct there.

Also, it keeps putting a Search= and DNS1= line into ifcfg-eth0, which it never did prior to the last update (NetworkManager-0.7.0-0.11.svn4175), which isn't a problem in itself, but this causes selinux to act up, flagging a need to restorecon on ifcfg-eth0 (which also never happened prior to selinux-policy-targeted-3.5.13-2). Nevertheless, selinux is not preventing a connection, but could it be forcing the HWaddr to zero all the time?