Snap Releases

Nifty Fedora Mitch niftyfedora at niftyegg.com
Wed Oct 22 20:01:40 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 03:27:52PM -0400, Jim wrote:

> What are these FC 10 Snap 1, 2 releases, ISO's ??
> I have FC 10 Beta installed and a lot of problems.

Most are related to getting the XO hardware working with F10
  (explore http://wiki.laptop.org/go/The_OLPC_Wiki)
If you watch livecd-tools in actions when making a bootable USB key
you will see that it does a yum update in addition to pulling in base (configurable).
The result is F10beta+UpdatesFromRawhide i.e. a snapshot.

Since the XO hardware is so limited these mini snaps permit testing
of F10.  Each snap meshes with a point that the XO test folk find
functional on XO hardware enough to bother with.   This is quite a challenge given
the limits of the hardware (memory and disk are limited, no CDROM).

The configurable part is that livecd-tools are driven by a kickstart configuration
file.  At this time the .ks file is close or equal to the F10 live CD setup.
Of interest since a CD is about 4GB the group has shifted to a 4GB SD flash card.

As you are finding, Beta can be bumpy at times.   The LiveCD and LiveSDflash bootable media
can provide a way to test F10-latest-stuff and still keep the base system
intact.

For the bystanders the LiveCD or LiveUSB environment sets the stage for
recovery, flexibility and options for those of us that have only one system.
There is an old true ism that if you work on cars you have to have a
second to go and get parts.   The LiveCD/LiveUSB has the potential of
being more than a scooter in the boot.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Found me a new hat, now what?