Actually using Fedora on your XO

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Thu Oct 23 17:36:09 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-23 at 11:10 -0400, Josh Bressers wrote:
> ----- "Josh Bressers" <bressers at redhat.com> wrote:
> > So now that it seems we can all install and mostly boot the XO iwth
> > Fedora 10, can anyone else actually use anything?
> >
> So I shall interpret the silence as a combination of don't care and go away.

I've actually been doing a fair bit with Snap2 to dive a little deeper
functionally (mostly to find other things and at least get them on the
radar).  Is it the fastest computer I've ever used?  No.  But it
performs far better than I expected given that it's a 433 mhz machine
with 256 megs of RAM.

Are you using the exact livecd-iso-to-disk parameters from the wiki with
the current version of the script?

> So that brings us to the next question.
>
> Being part of the XO performance team, what is the expectation?
>
> If we suggest adding or removing various packages for the live spin, will we be
> listened to?  Is shutting off services acceptable?  What about having a customized
> ~ so we can adjust various application settings.

Suggestions will definitely be looked at.  But they are going to need to
be things which generally make sense.  eg, we turned off setroubleshoot
because with the live images, you really _shouldn't_ be getting that
popping up.  But we're not going to switch out evolution[1] for mutt ;)

> How much RAM should be free (as I said previously, I can't get this number much
> above 90ish megs without seriously neutering GNOME).

Caring about RAM being free is a bit of a silly metric.  On my laptop
with 2 gigs of RAM, I don't have RAM "free".  The kernel is very good at
taking up all available RAM :-)

Jeremy

[1] I actually successfully ran evolution.  But I'm a bit nuts ;-)