rawhide report: 20081023 changes

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Thu Oct 23 17:39:54 UTC 2008

Michael Schwendt wrote, On 10/23/2008 01:28 PM:
> On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 19:06:18 +0200, zachpowers wrote:
>
>> after using yum to update (10/23) i have a problem.
>>
>> rebooting leaves me stuck on a blank screen that says only "GRUB" and has a pulsing cursor. If I use a livecd and mount my boot partition I see what looks to be a correct set of files including grub.conf and the vmlinuz of for the new kernel.
>>
>> which package could be the culprit?
>
> The kernel package's postinstall script, which runs /sbin/new-kernel-pkg
> (from mkinitrd pkg) to reinstall GRUB (instead of just editing grub.conf).
>
> AFAIK it's not reproducible. It's in Bugzilla several times most likely.
> For example: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/432555
>
> What seems to happen is that in some run-time environments under special
> circumstances the reinstallation of GRUB is not successful. Collecting
> data about the affected systems might be helpful.

Under what conditions IS the reinstallation of grub a NEEDED thing for a KERNEL?
Are there any?
Can they be detected at script run time and only activate this portion when it
IS needed?
I thought that one of the benefits of grub was that unlike LILO, you did not
have to reinstall it for changes in it's config to take effect.

I could understand a reinstall of grub when an updated grub package was installed.

--
Todd Denniston