Actually using Fedora on your XO

Jack Spaar jspaar at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Oct 23 18:11:16 UTC 2008

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 11:10:40 -0400, Josh Bressers wrote:

> ----- "Josh Bressers" <bressers at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> So now that it seems we can all install and mostly boot the XO iwth
>> Fedora 10, can
>> anyone else actually use anything?
>>

> So I shall interpret the silence as a combination of don't care and go
> away.

[...]

My two cents as a casual participant, there's a lot to be gained by
getting stock F10 to run on the XO as well as possible:
1) we'll reduce the distance between OLPC's own distro and its upstreams,
which will be good for OLPC and all of its "customers".
2) by fixing as many underlying issues as possible, we'll be setting a
good foundation for a near-future XO-friendly spin of Fedora -- and
identifying resource-conserving alternatives will no-doubt end up being
useful in that spin
3) this effort is introducing active Fedorans to the XO

At this point, I'm a little nervous about whether F10 itself, even after
our best efforts, is on track to be usable as part of the upcoming G1G1
offering.  In particular, every version of F10 has been unusable for me
*except* the pre-hotdog olpc-gnome.iso, where I had no problem starting
GNOME and pulling up Firefox and browsing around, without overlays or swap
or special efforts to stop extraneous services.  I'm wondering what
differences there are between that version and the follow-ons that might
explain this.  Squashfs vs. ext3 doesn't seem to account for it, but it's
over my head in any case.

I'm off for vacation for a couple weeks, please keep plugging away and
have everything perfect when I get back. ;)

--Jack Spaar