F10 Snap 1

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Thu Oct 23 18:19:10 UTC 2008

Jerry Amundson wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 7:41 PM, Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com> wrote:
>> James Hubbard wrote:
>>> Fedora 10 Snapshot 1 LiveCD has worked much better for than the Beta
>>> Live CD.  While trying to use the Beta, I was not able to get it to
>>> boot into X.  I had tried to a couple of boot params to force it to
>>> use vesa, but I don't know if those are available anymore.  The video
>>> card is listed as an ATI 3200.
>>>
>> Is a fully rawhide updated system supposed to be functionally the same as
>> SS1? And could you tell me what magic gets it to use vesa, since the obvious
>> edit of the boot line to include video=vesa doesn't do anything obvious on
>> any of my systems.
>
> Rawhide is now f10 snap2++
> Maybe the video answer you seek is here -
> http://wiki.antlinux.com/pmwiki.php?n=HowTos.VgaModes

Even with "vga=792" I get a correct resolution text window (I assume, the boot
scroll looks great), but then I get 800x600. When I try to set the resolution I
get a big "display unknown" (or similar) and no window size choices. Previously
I could click the "display" tab and force the display to "generic 1600x1200 LCD"
or similar, and then select a better resolution, log out and in and have it work.

Even with nomodeset I have no way to force the display to anything like reality,
so for the moment I guess I will wait until the real release comes out and see
if it gets fixed.

Thanks for the ideas, clearly the display type is the issue, and the resolution
setting tool no longer allows you to voice an opinion.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>