F10 Snap 3, VMware Workstation 6.5, and ThinkPad T400

Denis Leroy denis at poolshark.org
Sun Oct 26 18:57:49 UTC 2008

Christopher A. Williams wrote:
> OK - I have successfully loaded up F10 Snap 3 on my ThinkPad T400.
> Twice. I had to make a couple of changes along the way, including some
> specific CMOS configuration changes, but I generally have that part
> working.
>
> The first post-install boot always hangs after the firstboot
> configuration screens are done and you click the Finish button. After a
> hard reset, the system does come up normally. Everything seems to work
> at a base level. ATI graphics configure properly in unaccelerated mode,
> but only after specifically setting Discrete Graphics in CMOS.
> Autoswitch between Discreet and Internal does NOT work - it confuses and
> kills X. Hopefully the accelerated drivers will work better...
>
> I'm trying now to get VMware Workstation 6.5 up and running. It installs
> without incident from the Bundle file. The RPM doesn't. In both cases,
> Workstation simply refuses to start. Trying from the command line, I get
> messages back that several modules and services are not running. Does
> anybody have this working??? This is the next critical piece for me to
> solve...

You need to run vmware as root the first time, so it can compile its
host-side kernel modules. Once that's done, quit and restart it.

I have no problems with Workstation 6.5 here. There's a scsi_wait race
condition on the initrd image which causes problems for rawhide as
*guest*, but there was a workaround posted to this list some time ago.
open-vm-tools is being reviewed on RPMFusion, so that'll be available soon.