F10 Snap 3, VMware Workstation 6.5, and ThinkPad T400

Christopher A. Williams chriswfedora at cawllc.com
Sun Oct 26 21:35:54 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-10-26 at 19:57 +0100, Denis Leroy wrote:
> Christopher A. Williams wrote:
> >
> > kills X. Hopefully the accelerated drivers will work better...
> >
> > I'm trying now to get VMware Workstation 6.5 up and running. It installs
> > without incident from the Bundle file. The RPM doesn't. In both cases,
> > Workstation simply refuses to start. Trying from the command line, I get
> > messages back that several modules and services are not running. Does
> > anybody have this working??? This is the next critical piece for me to
> > solve...
>
> You need to run vmware as root the first time, so it can compile its
> host-side kernel modules. Once that's done, quit and restart it.

No dice. I reinstalled and then ran as root the first time. Here's what
I get as error messages back:

Logging to /tmp/vmware-root/setup-5583.log
modinfo: could not find module vmmon
modinfo: could not find module vmnet
modinfo: could not find module vmblock
modinfo: could not find module vmci
modinfo: could not find module vsock
modinfo: could not find module vmmon
modinfo: could not find module vmnet
modinfo: could not find module vmblock
modinfo: could not find module vmci
modinfo: could not find module vsock

I don't seen an other errors at all. the old vmware-config.pl file is
also not present.

Still searching for answers...

Cheers,

Chris