Fedora-10 killed my computer ...

Ben Gamari (FOSS) bgamari at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 04:37:31 UTC 2008

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I'm almost completely ignorant of the inside of a computer,
> but is the BIOS normally the only NVRAM inside?

The BIOS is one of several NVRAM modules on your
motherboard/peripherals. As was said earlier, it is common for the video
card to have its own BIOS for bringing up screens in text mode, etc.
It's also common that SCSI cards have their own BIOS for configuration,
booting from devices, etc. The same applies to RAID controllers. Even
many ethernet adapters have their own BIOS for PXE boot, as well as
general operating firmware (hence the recent issues with Intel E1000s
being bricked by pre-release kernels). Most non-trivial devices now have
some firmware which must either be loaded by the driver or stored in
NVRAM. Hope this helps,

- Ben