adduser doesn't quite get it

Zenko Klapko Jr. covertcodeop1 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 14:54:53 UTC 2008

Yes, I thought as a command line tool adduser is the barebones command
to add users to a system. Checking the main page one can find the
options for adding/changing a default group and additional groups.

I also remember a limitation of 16 groups for some software
applications. I'm not sure if that is still in effect or not.

-Zenko

On 10/27/08, John Summerfield <debian at herakles.homelinux.org> wrote:
> Michal Jaegermann wrote:
>>> Which command line tool did you use to create the user?  IIRC one of
>>> them (luseradd) uses libuser as the backend, which can set the selinux
>>> permissions correctly where as useradd does not.
>>

> There's also the point that adduser does what you tell it, and that's
> not to add the user to lots of groups unless rootuser specifies
> otherwise, while another tool might add users to groups that fit well
> the the distro's philosophy. In the former case, sound might not while
> in the latter it works well.
>
>> Before anybody will ask - adduser and useradd this is the same
>> thing.
>
> It is in RedHattish systems, but not so in others.
>
> --
>
> Cheers
> John
>
> -- spambait
> 1aaaaaaa at coco.merseine.nu  Z1aaaaaaa at coco.merseine.nu
> -- Advice
> http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
>
> You cannot reply off-list:-)
>
> --

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much
liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.
  - Thomas Jefferson